Tuesday, October 19, 2004

got blog? Better check, it might be taken

My friend Michael started a blog, and I thought it was a cool idea. From what I understand, blogs have just come on the scene in recent times. I know I heard a lot about it in the campaign of Howard Dean in the Democratic Primary. (Not that I have any fond feelings about the Democratic Primary, I just heard about it in the news). I stayed awake at night trying to think of a good name. Then finally, a couple nifty headings came to mind. Being that this is not an age-old media, I figured I could brainstorm a catchy name for mine, without it already being taken (Like all the times I’ve had to alter usernames. Who wants to be “charlie4953urbz903”?) Well, guess again.

As I tried to install my unique and catchy titles, I came to find that someone else is as clever as me. Let me give you an idea:

got blog?

Hey, now that’s catchy. Too bad www.gotblog.blogspot.com was taken by a man in 2001, who wanted to post “Hi, I’m god.” three times in a row and hasn’t darkened the door of his blog since.

How about, “web of thought”....

Well, “Becky” got to that one first. Drop by www.webofthought.blogspot.com and you will see her entrepreneurial spirit embodied in this quote:

explores ways in which knowledge/expressions are related to other knowledge/expressions. focii: genealogy, knowledge classification (eg dewey decimal classification), canadian tv/cinema, queer stuff, anything that pops into my head, it'll be fun -- i promise

She broke her promise and never returned.

And then there was “blogology”...

At least this guy actually put some stuff on his blog. True, he hasn’t been back since February but I’ll give him credit for the original effort.

“brain web?”

Nope. He had high hopes though. This is part of what his ONE entry said:

I will attempt to use this Weblog to capture all of the relevant information available on the World Wide Web. EVERYTHING!I am an information junkie. I love information. I love technology. I LOVE THE WEB! Not for what it is, but for what it does and better yet, what it can do that hasn't even been thought of yet. I will attempt to categorize every bit of information in the world in this weblog and hope that it will become a resource for people of all nations, gender, religion, age and all of the ways we human beings define ourselves.

...and then I suppose the cartoon network came back on and he gave up his aspirations for world unification.

So here I am. The creator of “cranium web”. Alternate wording, but the idea I wanted just the same. Now I’m curious to see what’s at www.charlie.com. But something tells me I might be befuddled by what I’d find.

No comments: