Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Chainsaw on steroids


Arrggg....me use big bladed thingie. It even has a cool name........"ditch witch". Here's a little summary of what my dad and I have been doing today.

My crawlspace has moisture in it. After rain, it has had standing water in one very low point. I have helped to remedy this by using gutter extensions. My dad suggested running a drain pipe from the area under the house and running the drain pipe under ground in the yard. To do this, we rented this cool machine. The blade is cooler and more massive than this picture shows, but you'll have to take my word for it. Anyway, we dug the ditch, bought 3 pieces of PVC pipe and connectors, put in in. All this was after a long time of digging with a shovel near the house and chiseling away at the concrete blocks, inside and out. We got all this done, but my job's not done yet. You will see in a picture below the inside part. I have to get the water to go into the pipe. So I will have to put dirt around that area and make a v-shape type funnel area and put plastic over it, to make the water funnel into the pipe. That part isn't going to be very easy, but I don't know any other way to do it. It was hard work, and I'm beat now, but at least that part's done.......and I got to operate heavy duty machinery. That's always a bonus. :-)

No comments: