Wednesday, May 11, 2005

"Welcome to 'This Old Fence'"


Ok. This is going to be one of those posts, where nobody will probably give a hoot but me. But, oh well, it's my blog....I'll cry if I wa....nevermind.

This is a little project I'm working on. It's of no significance. No one will really care when it's finished. It serves no real purpose. It's just a yard decoration. Yet, somehow I am compelled to fix it up. It used to be in my parents yard in Young Harris. As you can see my dad painted "KELLY" on it, and it has some rusty numbers that used to be the street address. So this picture is the before picture, and someday I hope to post the after picture. I'm sure you'll put that on your calendars.

So anyway, its got this metal frame on the back that you stick in the ground by the road. Just a friendly little thing to let people know it's your house. So I am cleaning it up, repairing it, redoing it, and I am going to stick it down by the road.

First I pulled out about 40 staples that were in it. I tore of some of the ragged black cloth background on the back. Yesterday I disconnected the rusty, metal frame and got most of the rust off with my electric grinder/wire brush. I bought some black spray paint at I Own Your Soul.....also known as Wal-Mart. (Side story: I used the self-checkout, and the total was $1.01. All I had was a $20. It was a dollar and ONE CENT. That should never be allowed to happen. Luckliy, I used a Jedi mind-trick to get a Wal-Mart girl to give me a penny.) So I'm going to paint the frame, sand the wooden picket fence, repair as needed, paint it white, repaint "KELLY", buy new metal numbers to match my address, staple new fake leaves/flowers to it, and wala, it will be completed in all its glory.

Does anyone really care? I doubt it. But, ...so what. Welcome to the random world of Charlie's free time.

No comments: