Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Charlie moments from Sunday

I just wanted to mention two Charlie moments from Sunday.

First...
I went to Burger King for breakfast on the way to church. I was by myself. Tori was at home with the baby. I was in a very, very big hurry. I was going to go to Sunday School, and I was already late. I decided to eat inside real quick, because the drivethrough line was so long.

I walk in the door. You know how they have those railings, that channel the line in a snake-like pattern. There are spaces inbetween the railings. But not big enough to walk through. Not an adult anyway. Well, I walked in and saw there was only one person at the cash register. But...there was a man and a boy who walked in the opposite door on the other side the exact same time I did. It was time for emergency action. The opening of the lane was on their side. But they didn't have any dibs on the next spot, because they had just come in through the door too. So we were equal so far. I decided I had to act quickly, before they had dibs on the next spot. So I decided to squeeze through the crack in the railing.

Ok, I should have taken a picture to show you how skinny this slit was. But I started. Somehow I managed to get my first thigh through the slit. (Remember this man and his boy are watching me do this.) It caused extreme pain. Then I had to get the other one through, all the while, trying to pretend this is a very normal motion, and it is no big deal. I started the other thigh. It did not come through so easy. It started to get stuck. I was in pain, but knew I had started and now I must finish, and do so with a straight face. So I semi-jerked my leg through. I was now standing at the waiting cashier. On the inside I grimaced with pain, but knew I must not show it, so that this man and boy would not think I was a giant imbecile. So I stood there, and ordered my sausage and egg croissant...even though my hunger was now temporarily disabled from the throbbing.

And the hashbrowns weren't even any good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Charlie moment, same Charlie morning...

This one is shorter. A lady at church approached me during the fellowship time. I knew her. I instantly knew I had a decision to make. Hold out my hand, or begin initiating the hug sequence. The wrong choice would mean embarrasement. So I weighed my known (remembered) relationship with the lady, and decided to assertively extend the handshake. She looked at my hand. Then she hugged me. Why was I born? stupidstupidstupid

No comments: