Friday, March 25, 2005

The Eagles Have Landed

We are all three back home again. It's been a long week. Last night was the first time I had slept at my house in about 8 days or so. I got back from 4 days in Charleston and Tori drove home this morning with Micah from 4 days with her parents.

We took Micah back to the doctor this morning for a checkup. He weighed in at about 7 lbs. 4 oz. This is very good. It means the formula is putting on weight at a healthy rate. He had lost a little and was down to about 5 lbs. 15 oz., when he went back to the hospital. We realized, that Tori was going to have to suppliment her nursing with formula. And now he is suckin' down those bottles. Even after being away from him for 4 days, I can tell he's gotten bigger. I'm sure he'll take me down in arm-wrestling soon.

Tori enjoyed spending a few days with her parents; meanwhile I toured Charleston, S.C., with my 8th grade students. I must admit to having a good time. We toured Ft. Sumter, where the Civil War began, and ceremoniously ended. It was where the first shots of the war were fired. At the end of the war Lincoln was invited to the ceremony to raise the very flag which had been lowered in surrender (which I got to see), but instead, at the advice of his advisors, turned it down, and instead decided to attend Ford's Theatre. ...Doah!

We toured the only plantation to survive both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. Sherman didn't burn it because it was being used as a Smallpox hospital.

We toured the aircraft carrier, Yorktown, and the tour was directed by an 80 yr. old man, who rode her in her WWII glory days. It was funny, because he cussed alot and yelled at the kids when they tried to sit down. He would go up to one of the kids and then suddenly yell a dramatic part of a story in their face and about make them wet their pants.

And my favorite part of the whole trip.......FREE MEALS!!! Oh yeah. We ate at alot of nice sit down resturaunts, and it was all free. Barbeque, grilled chicken, shrimp, desserts. Ah...sooky sooky now.

And we got to ride a nice chartered bus instead of our crappy little school bus. The boys and I played tons of videogames at night. One night we went to Freddy's Fun Park (an arcade). And one of my "loud and proud" students challenged me to a round of video games so he could show his teacher what was what. That boy should go run and take the S.A.T. real quick, 'cause he got schooled. Score: Mr. Kelly = all video games played ; student = nothing but a crushed spirit. My job there is done.

So overall, things have turned out well. Micah is gaining weight and looking great. Tori's blood pressure seems to have gone back to normal. I have eaten many tasty meats. And my students now realize that their teacher has been playing video games since before they were born and they will never open their mouths again. .....and....I'm sure they learned something educational too.

No comments: