Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Come on ride that bus...and choo choo ride it.




Ok, ok, well buses don't go "choo choo". But anyway...

I am getting a CDL license. (Commercial Drivers License). At my last church, they hounded me about getting it, but I refused. I did so because the school I was teaching in at the time had the same kind of bus as the church. And if I got a CDL, I would be only the 2nd guy at the school who had one and they would have had me driving everywhere.

But now.....I don't have to worry about that, because public school won't be able to rope me into driving one because I won't take the airbrake part of the test. So I'll get a class B license without airbrakes. That way I can only drive for church (this bus has hydraulic brakes, not air). And I've been told that I'll be protected from having many people asking me to drive for them. I don't mind helping sometimes, but you know how that goes. This will be for the kids trips at church mainly.

So anyway, I'm in the middle of studying the manual. The driving part is easy, because its mostly common sense stuff. It's the checking the bus over part thats hard. I'm not mechanical by nature, so looking at pictures of leaf springs, Pitarm bars, u-joints, ect. on a diagram is Greek to me. Hopefully I'll be able to make it through that part.

I actually have to take 4 tests. Three written, and one driving. I'll take the written ones at the DMV in Toccoa, and then I'll have to make an appointment in Gainesville for the driving part. All together it'll cost $95.

All aboard...

No comments: