Saturday, August 12, 2006

Death, Taxes and Jehovah's Witnesses

I just got my inevitable visit from our local conclave of Jehovah's Witnesses. Ron and Jean. An older couple. Very nice and cordial. As soon as I opened the door I knew who I'd be talking to. I talked to them on the front porch for a couple of minutes. They told me a couple of things, then I told them what I believed.

My heart was very sad for them. The man in particular was a very kind man, and I felt so bad knowing he thought he was doing the will of God, and yet unless God pulls him from his false doctrine, he and his wife will face the judgment of God.

Unfortnunately, my other resonating feeling is that of shame. I told them that I wasn't prepared to have a lengthy conversation on our differences. And I should be. I did share the basics of the gospel, but that is not the way you have to go about it with that group. If an Athiest had walked up to my door, I would have known exactly where to go with that, but I feel unprepared to communicate effectively with JW or Mormons, etc. This is my responsibility to correct.

Luckily, I remembered a tip my pastor mentioned from his encounters at his own house. While chatting with the older couple, I asked them for their home address so I could come visit them. (This tends to catch them off guard sometimes.) They agreed and gave me their information. So, just as they paid me a visit, hopefully I will get my pastor (who is able to more skillfully deal with points needing to be addressed) to go with me to visit this couple at their own house. But as Christians we should not be dependant on a church pastor to share the Gospel. We are responsible to be ready in and out of season and on rainy Saturday mornings walking around the house in your underwear (yes I put clothes on before going to the door)to engage people in our culture. What other endeavor is more worthy of study and practice? Teaching science? Working presses? Editing newspapers? House projects?

If there is anything that is worthy of "study to show yourself approved to God" - it is the communication of His Gospel.

No comments: