Sunday, November 05, 2006

Lasik



I really wish I could get lasik surgery. I've had to wear glasses or contacts since...hmm...maybe fourth grade or so. I wore contacts for a long time, but in general they are uncomfortable for me. (Especially in one eye more than the other.) So I wear glasses all the time now, but they are often crooked, I'm not sure why. Maybe I have a crooked head or something. I can't think of much I would rather have, than lasik surgery. I'm still young enough I could get decades of use out of it before I had to start wearing reading glasses. It basically costs $1000 an eye. Thats $2000 since I have TWO eyes.

It's not an implausible amount of money. But its an amount that makes saving for it hard. It's out of reach enough to discourage trying to save for it at all. I just don't get enough spending money every month to save for that amount. Just out of my reach. I can't really get a separate summer job to save for it, because that would take me away from my family and that wouldn't be fair to them (especially Tori). I can't just pay for it outright, because that would be selfish. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, can't save for it, can't work for it, can't just buy it.

Guess I'll be sticking with my crooked glasses.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that you always want me to be the guinea pig and get it first, to see how it goes.

If I ever win the lottery I will give you the money to get it. But that might be hard since I don't play the lottery.

When I just become rich and famous I'll give you the money to get it. That should happen any time now.

Michael Rogers said...

that's what i want too, i hate contacts but i can see better with them than with my glasses even though they're the same prescription. i also wear sunglasses so much. my eyes haven't gotten worse since highschool so the eye doc said i was a prime candidate, but you and i are in the same boat right now. i'll just wait for that mega huge raise i'm going to get, and that million dollar check from ed. when that comes i'll buy your new eyes too.

and kudos on the new post.

David and Joanna said...

If I lived up there then getting lasik would be an easier decision. We would just add up the number of times you have to pay to replace the glasses compared to just having surgery.

Jared, you should get it done. Joanna had it a couple of years ago and everything went very smooth. She watched TV without her glasses that first night.

Charlie said...

What makes it aggravating is the fact that I can't figure out a way to get it done. It would take me 40 months to save up for it and thats impossible because I wouldn't be able to ever buy anything else, so waiting 4 years just doesn't work out. Not sure, maybe I'll come into money somehow, or an old man will say, "Here ya go sonny, I just like your short haircut, and since you're not a hippy, have some money."

Unknown said...

happened to me once, but all i got was a whopper value meal.

Charlie said...

and this lousy t-shirt.