Thursday, March 02, 2006

Charlius Momentus Maximus

This is a bad one. Just happened today.

I will not tell you the backstory first, because you need to hear it fresh, just like this poor girl did.

The students are working in groups of 2. One group, close to my desk is composed of a black girl and a white girl.

They both address me and the white girl says,
"Mr. Kelly, how much time is left in class?"

Now remember, both the black girl and the white girl are basically looking at me when I say the following, (and the black girl has no idea why I would say the following...)

Mr. Kelly - "There's about 3 1/2 gorilla lengths left. And I have no idea how to translate gorilla time to real time."

Thats right. I said this to a group of two girls. One of whom is black.

-----

Why I said that....

The white girl's favorite band is the "Gorillaz". And I often tease her about gorillas because of it.

Of course, the black girl does not know this.

So of course, when I realized what I had just done, I had to play it off, and have the black girl ask the white one what her favorite band was, so she would see why I said that.

------

Yes. A true, true Charlie moment.

No comments: