Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Eureka! I've found it!!!....or have I?


Ok, so you see, we have this '95 Lincoln Town Car. My parents let us borrow it when the truck was out of commission. They bought a new car, and even when the truck was fixed, they said we could have it. I let them know I was going to sell it and the truck to put towards another vehicle (a van).

So anyway, they keyless entry system stopped working. Blown fuse. I could didn't get around to it, so when my dad was over, he went out there and started looking for a fuse. He found one that was blown, and left it on the counter. They left.

So I go out to cut the grass. The Lincoln was parked in the yard. So I go to crank it up to move it. I turn on the key, the dash board lights come on. But when I turn it the rest of the way, it doesn't hit or anything, and the lights in the dash shut off. (Some of you may already know what the problem was, but I didn't.) So anyway, I think "great." So I cut the grass except for that spot, and then I go out to the car, look at the low-amp fuses under the dash, mess with them, but didn't really change anything. It cranked. "Weird" I thought. So I moved it and cut the grass under it.

I go back out there yesterday, same thing happens. I find the owners manual, and look at the fuses under the dash. I see where the one my dad pulled is missing. So I go to AutoZone, get some 20 amp fuses, go back, replace the burnt one. Same problem. I check the manual, get under the hood and check out the high-amp fuses. I take the cable off the battery, and notice it was loose. Don't think much of it. Examine the fuses and see this one in the picture, which controls the engine fan, with a noticeable burn on it. It's a blown 30 amp, so I go back to the parts store and get some 30's. Replace it...and STILL the same problem.

My neighbor David (the car-audio store guy), sees me out there, comes over. I tell him the problem. He says, "sounds like a loose battery connection". Walks over to the battery, connects and tightens it. ...It cranks fine.

So I try to defend myself saying, there were two blown fuses....but bottom line.....I spent probably an hour out there not doing much, and then my neighbor walks over, fixes the problem and then walks back to his house. Yes! I am a moron. Go me. My neighbor keeps coming over and doing stuff for me. I hope he doesn't ask me for a kidney,.....because at this point I might have to give it to him.

No comments: