Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Losing Your Forever

I was going to wait and try to write more extensively about this; but I just don't find myself having the motivation right now. So I'll just throw it out there. (For all 2 people who are reading my blog right now.)

Micah thinks he is going live forever. [physically]

At least implicitly. I'm not sure that he thinks "I'm going to live forever." But I believe he at least assumes his continuance. And over the next couple of years, he will naturally embrace the idea of living forever.

But then there comes that point, when the truth is broken to us. When as a child, we are faced with the fact that one day our body will die. That can be somewhat traumatic for a child. I remember hearing an apologist talk about that once. He said he cried when his dad told him that. His father tried to console him by saying it was a long way off. But as that man said, once he had lost forever, he had lost everything.

There is that initial shock and dismay; but luckily that mental block that God created to keep us from jumping off cliffs kicks in and we stop thinking about it; only occassionally daring to re-enter that childhood moment to consider it for ourselves again.

But part of me wonders if that isn't part of being made in the image of God. We are distraught at the idea of death. Only we humans are. I think we reject it, because we feel like that is not what is meant to be. The neat thing, I think, is that it is not really true. We do live forever. Somewhere.

So it's like a circle. You lose your happy forever. And then, through Christ, you can get it back. That hope, that fulfilling thought, satisfies that primal desire that was once taken from us as a child.

No comments: