Thursday, June 01, 2006

Well, I’ve been needing to post something substantive for awhile. I’ve been thinking about some stuff. But that’s not the problem; I’m always thinking, I just can’t write it down in time to remember it for the blog. At any rate; I’ve decided to blog about this:

You ever get mental pictures? Just about life stuff? I do all the time. That seems to be how my mind envelops ideas. It puts it in picture form. This is really helpful, because I can remember it better and relate to it better if I can see it.

Well, anyway, I decided to remember one I had just so I could have something to blog about. Last weekend we went camping. (Tori, I and her parents). We went shopping in Commerce. They dropped me off at the Pottery and they went ahead to some clothing stores. (I would just about rather pick up trash on the side of the road than be in a womens clothing store.)

So for a few hours I wandered around the Pottery. If you’ve never been to a store like that, it’s a HUGE…and I do mean HUGE…store full of all kinds of plants, and pots, and random garden stuff. They have acres of stuff outside with trails and all kinds of plants. Well, the place was packed, but its so big I wandered to the very back of the outside trail where they keep Asian plants. It was a hot, sunny day, and I found a covered bench. So I sat there for awhile. Enjoying the day. Then I laid down on the wooden bench. Not really trying to think about anything…just chillin’. Being around the flowers and plants, my mind decided to put those together with the idea of generations. (People generations). Great grandparents has a child, then dies, grandparent has a child, then dies, parent has a child, then dies, child has a child, etc, etc. So I pictured a long skinny flower bed. And tulips were growing in it. But the thing was, they weren’t growing all at once. Instead I saw one grown way down the line, then one start to spring up next to it, and before it was all the way up, the old flower starts to die. And so it was kind of like tulips doing the wave. They were growing up and proliferating and dying before getting to see their grandchild flower. And so the tulip wave started making its way down the long, skinny flower bed.

(I bet some people think I’m on acid)

At any rate, that was just like the people part to me. Except with tulips.

Now…I like to write. Creatively. I enjoy poetry, and other kinds of art. I actually saw some really cool art at the Pottery I’d like to have. I’m not saying I’m good at it or anything, but I do have at least a creative desire. I’ve tried writing music on the piano, writing stories, poetry. I wish I could draw because I’d like to paint, but that a no-go. If I weren’t always so busy I’d do it a lot. But, that’s the way it goes.

At any rate, when I got home from work today (my last day at work), I decided to sit down and write about that mental picture. And then I decided to not just mention the picture…but to put it into a poem. So then as I’m writing the poem, I took it in a little different direction. At first it started off being a kind of morbid poem that reflected the mental picture. But fortunately, my Christian world-view, allows me to have faith in life and death that is not limited to this physical world. And so my poem took a different turn, to reflect not just the morbid physical reality, but also the just as real spiritual one.

So be prepared to get put off the hook, ‘cause I went Jason on ya’ today and wrote the following poem. (See post below)

P.S. – So that it will sound more fluid when you read it in your head, it follows the 8-6, 8-6, syllable meter. So you have to read it that way for it to sound better.

No comments: